A well-maintained parking lot can have a big impact on your commercial business. As we mentioned in a recent article about the importance of parking lot maintenance, the parking lot is the first impression a customer sees when they enter your business location. Often a clean, smooth asphalt results from proper parking lot sealcoating and maintenance.
What is Sealcoating?
Sealcoating is when a new layer of asphalt mixture is coated on top of an already existing asphalt. It can cover faded, old asphalt in need of a new protective coating or a fresh appearance. Sealcoating is popular in paving maintenance. It helps overall asphalt quality and appeal over time.
A typical asphalt parking lot lasts 7 to 10 years with quality upkeep. But with sealcoating, the lifespan of asphalt can increase up to twice that amount of time. A good parking lot sealcoating can prevent future oil, sun and water damage.
Parking Lot Sealcoating for Asphalt Maintenance
One reason why sealcoating is so important is that it’s a necessary part of maintaining your asphalt parking lot. Neglecting a parking lot leads to deterioration of asphalt surfaces. Parking lots receive a lot of heavy use, therefore resulting in harsh damages in need of repair. A smart asphalt upkeep plan is to get routine maintenance checks and a new seal coat every 3-5 years minimum. Aside from parking lot sealcoating, things like striping, patching, cleaning, and crack repair are other common ways to extend the lifespan of your parking lots.
Top Benefits of Sealcoating
- Overall appearance: The clear black layer of sealcoated asphalt gives a classy look to any commercial or industrial parking lot.
- Safety: The smooth surface with minimal cracks or damages means both vehicles and pedestrians are able to navigate the parking lot at minimal risk.
- Cost-efficient: Over time, if your asphalt is left to break down on its own without proper care, it can cost you an entire remove and replacement project. This is much more expensive than staying up to date with sealcoating, which can cost very little per square inch.
- Easy cleanup: Smooth surfaces are easier to clean. Whether it be a sweep or a snowplow, a seal coat surface makes the cleaning process easier and much faster than janky or broken areas of asphalt.
- Surface flexibility: When the sun heats up the absorbent dark color of asphalt it can cause the surface to become more flexible. This process can make it last longer and prevent cracking.
- Preserves overall parking lot: Sealcoating helps preserve the overall parking lot from excess oil leaks, vehicle fluids, weathering, water damage, and oxidation from excess UV rays. The seal coat acts as a stronger barrier between the top layer and the deeper foundation of the asphalt underneath.
When Should You Consider Parking Lot Sealcoating?
Many people wonder when the right time is to get their parking lot sealcoated. The answer depends on several factors, one of the most prominent ones being weather and level of use the parking lot receives. Typically the average moderately-trafficked parking lot needs a new seal coat every 2-3 years. The best way to notice a parking lot requires sealcoating is if the asphalt is clearly fading, cracking, or showing any signs of major wear and tear. If you are overdue for a parking lot seal coat, call the expert paving contractors in your area.